Jul 3, 2013

Battery Risks on Kids

ADVICE FROM KIDSAFE

Parents must be vigilant about leaving their children unattended near small batteries.Symptoms of swallowing a button battery include:
  • chest pain
  • coughing
  • nausea/vomiting
  • diarrhoea
  • abdominal pain
  • fever
Button batteries are found in common devices:

  • bathroom scales
  • hearing aids
  • reading lights
  • flameless candles
  • games and toys
  • watches
  • calculators
  • torches and laser lights
  • remote control devices that unlock car doors and control MP3 speakers
  • musical greeting cards
The advice from Kidsafe is to:
  • Examine devices and make sure the battery compartment is secure
  • Keep coin-sized button batteries and devices out of sight and out of reach (as poisons and medications)
  • Dispose of old button batteries immediately and safely
  • If swallowing of a button battery is suspected, go to the hospital immediately
  • Call the Poisons Information Centre on 13 11 26 for additional treatment information (in Australia)

No comments:

Post a Comment